SPONSORED

World Tallest Jesue Statue in Poland set World Record


SPONSORED

The controversial effigy stands at 33m (108ft), one metre for every year that Jesus lived, according to creator Reverend Sylwester Zawadzki.

With its gold crown, the white landmark is 36m (118ft) tall, and if the mound it stands on is also taken into account, it measures 51m (167ft).

Brazil's famous Christ the Redeemer statue, the previous record holder, stands at 39.6m (130ft).

Mr Zawadzki, 78, the local priest in Swiebodzin, about 40 miles from the German border, said: "I have never been as happy as I am today.

"This is the culmination of my life's work as a priest. I felt inspired to fulfil Jesus' will, and today I give thanks to him for allowing me to fulfil his will."

Some believe the £1million statue will bring more visitors to the area.

But others say the money would have been better spent elsewhere.

Jarek, 41, from a nearby village, said: "I don't understand. With all this money, we would have done better to build an elementary school."

Construction of the statue was hampered by strong winds, an accident in which the head fell and crushed a builder's foot and the priest suffering a heart attack.

Britain's Angel of the North statue is 65ft tall, but boasts a wingspan of 177ft.

World Tallest Jesue Statue in Poland set World Record 2010






Popular Posts

Share this !